The Idaho Writers Guild (hereinafter referred to as “the Organization”) is a statewide writers organization in Idaho, committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment for all writers. We recognize that every story holds value, and that by embracing the rich tapestry of experiences and perspectives, we can better understand and appreciate the world around us.
This Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Policy (hereinafter referred to as “the Policy”) establishes the Organization’s commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion within its membership, leadership, programs, and activities. The Policy seeks to ensure that all individuals have the opportunity to participate and contribute fully to the Organization, free from discrimination or bias based on factors such as race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
- To cultivate a diverse and inclusive community of writers, representing a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
- To ensure equitable access to resources, opportunities, and support for all members of the Organization.
- To promote understanding, respect, and appreciation for the unique stories and voices of each individual within the Organization.
- To comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations governing discrimination and equal opportunity.
The Organization shall take the following measures to implement this Policy:
- Membership: The Organization shall actively recruit and engage writers from diverse backgrounds and experiences, ensuring that membership is accessible to individuals of all protected characteristics. No person shall be denied membership or participation in the Organization on the basis of any protected characteristic.
- Leadership: The Organization shall strive to ensure that its leadership reflects the diversity of its membership. To this end, the Organization shall provide equal opportunities for members of all protected characteristics to assume leadership roles and participate in decision-making processes.
- Programs and Activities: The Organization shall develop and implement programs and activities that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion, and that celebrate the unique stories and voices of its members. This includes providing opportunities for members to learn about and engage with diverse perspectives and experiences, and creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all participants.
- Education and Training: The Organization shall provide ongoing education and training to its leadership, staff, and members to foster awareness and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion issues, and to promote compliance with this Policy and applicable laws.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: The Organization shall regularly assess and evaluate its progress in implementing this Policy and achieving its objectives. This may include collecting and analyzing data on membership demographics, program participation, leadership representation, and other relevant indicators.
IV. Non-Discrimination Statement
The Organization prohibits discrimination against any individual on the basis of any protected characteristic. Any member or participant who believes they have been subject to discrimination in violation of this Policy should report the incident to the Organization’s designated contact person for addressing such complaints. The Organization shall promptly investigate and address any reported incidents of discrimination, taking appropriate action as necessary to remedy any violations of this Policy.
By adopting and implementing this Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Policy, The Idaho Writers Guild reaffirms its commitment to creating an environment in which all stories matter, and where each individual’s unique voice is celebrated and valued.